Hello all! It’s Pride Month once again, and I’ve never been so happy. Why? Because it shows how far something can go when it’s rooted in love. It also gives us hope that we can secure the right to dignity and inclusion for all of our family, friends, and neighbors who still feel the need to hide in the shadows. Living in the Gayborhood of Philly and having a large LGBTQIA community at GoCoach — including our investor community in Gaingels — I feel the love, pride, and hope every day.
Believe me, I know we still have a long way to go. But it’s things like this that reinvigorate me and confirm my belief in myself, our company, and everyone we’re going to help. Meet Justin. Justin is a gay former military man with no sales experience, yet he’s our number 1 seller. Because he’s real. Because he’s in love. Because he listens. Because he understands. Because what motivates Justin is a purpose bigger than us: respect, recognition, acceptance, and empowerment. We’re all proud to be a part of it. Justin is one of many in our GoCoach community. But every day, I wake up to ensure that Justin and so many more in the world who are different, who are diverse, who are not like me, have every opportunity to live, learn, and grow in a safe and supportive way without prejudice or harm. In the words of Megan Rapinoe – “The more I’ve been able to learn about gay rights and equal pay and gender equity and racial inequality, the more that it all intersects. You can’t really pick it apart. It’s all intertwined. This intertwinement means inclusion for all.”
And here’s why. Justin’s words, not mine:
Which leads me to more empowerment and justice for all. In the wake of what happened in Uvalde, the many fathers and mothers on my team could not process “why” dropping your kids off at school still has to be traumatic. Why do we keep letting this happen? I’m not going to recount the details of what has become a routine and uniquely American scourge. But our Chief Sales Officer Daniel wrote me about a way to move forward.
1. Universal background checks — criminal and federal level.
2. Gun buyback programs for those who want to participate — all Military-style weapons must be turned in within 90 days.
3. Raise the age of purchasing any gun to 21 or more.
4. Federally mandated licensing and training program on using firearms safely.
5. Limit ammunition per person and/or per weapon.
6. Full background check on the psychiatric history of any would-be gun owner.
7. Renewal of eligibility every five years like we have for driving.
8. Ban all military-style weapons, bump stocks, and high-capacity magazines.
9. Banish gun show sales.
10. No carry laws in any urban environment.
11. 90 days waiting period before obtaining any weapon — federally mandated.
Solutions to save kids in the interim:
1. Armed police at every school
2. K9 units roaming throughout districts and patrolling every school randomly. Statistics support that K9s are a more effective deterrent than armed cops.
3. Fenced and gated schools (Europe does this).
4. Have a patrol car parked outside every school.
5. Remove firearms from all homes to be stored in gun or hunting clubs.
These are just some logical steps that I would say 90% of Americans would agree to.
So, while I usually provide articles of reference to help you help your people grow — this newsletter is about my people and how they’ve helped me learn and grow every day.
With love and pride always,
Interested in learning more about how GoCoach’s coaching solutions can help enhance your talent? Contact us here.